Prepaid Funeral Plans in Northern Ireland
A pre-arranged funeral plan is a simple and straightforward way of reducing worry and can provide financial and practical help for your loved ones.
The advantage of a pre-payment plan over a savings account or life insurance policy is that you fix our direct costs and make a contribution towards third party costs in advance. Please refer to our Terms and Conditions for more information. Our plans are administered by Ecclesiastical Planning Services which ensures every penny of your funeral pre-payment (excluding the initial management fee) is ring-fenced until a funeral is required.
“Most of us, as we get older, expect to provide the money to meet our funeral expenses. We’re not morbid. It’s to do with independence and responsibility. Leaving everything in order for our relatives and friends. The fact is that funerals cost money, and we want to help take care of the cost“.
The Advantages of a James McMullan and Son Pre-payment Plan
Our funeral plans have the following practical benefits:
- You can choose your own funeral arrangements, for your own peace of mind.
- You will save your family from having to make many difficult decisions, trying to guess what you would have wanted, at what can be a distressing time.
- Help to protect loved ones against rising funeral costs with a guarantee of the agreed Funeral Director’s charges.
- Make a contribution towards third party costs which are outside of our control.
- The funeral plans we offer give you exceptional financial security for your money. Every penny of the full value of the plan (excluding the initial management fee) is held securely in a whole of life assurance policy with a life assurance company that is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and regulated by the PRA and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Funeral plans themselves are not regulated by the PRA or FCA but our funeral plan provider is registered with the Funeral Planning Authority. The money is made immediately available to us at the time of need and the funds cannot be used for anything other than your funeral
- You can choose a set plan or we can tailor every detail exactly as you want it.
- The Plan can be paid by lump sum or in manageable monthly instalments – whichever suits you best.
- You will help to reduce the financial burden for your loved ones
- The service will be provided by us, an independent funeral director with an established reputation.
- Anyone aged 18 or over can take out a plan. There’s no upper age limit and no medical or health questions to answer.
Questions customers often ask about our funeral plan
Funeral costs have risen over the years, so it makes sense to make financial provision in advance. The funeral plans we offer guarantee to cover the funeral director’s costs, listed in the plan details as long as your requirements don’t change and we carry out your funeral. The plan can also include an allowance towards third party costs such as fees for cremation or burial, medical fees and payment to a minister or officiant which are outside of our control.
This is the most important benefit of the James McMullan and Son Funeral Plan, and why it has become so popular with our clients in recent years.
Each plan usually includes a contribution towards other expenses, such as cemetery or crematorium fees, newspaper notices and minister’s or church fees etc. These fees are known as “disbursements” and are outside of our control so cannot be guaranteed. If these costs are not covered by the plan value at the time of need, there may be a balance to pay.
You can include a larger (or smaller) contribution towards disbursements if you wish – please ask if you need advice on this point.
Funeral pre-payment plans are provided by Ecclesiastical Planning Services which is part of the Ecclesiastical Group. Ecclesiastical has been protecting people, property and funds since 1887 and Ecclesiastical Planning Services is a registered provider of the Funeral Planning Authority and adheres to its Code of Practice and high professional standards. The funeral plans we offer give you exceptional financial security for your money. Every penny of the full value of every plan (excluding the initial management fee) is held securely and ring-fenced for your funeral for your peace of mind.
Yes, we find that many of our customers choose to do this.
You may pay for your funeral plan by instalments over 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 years. There is an additional cost for paying by instalments over 2, 3, 4, or 5 years. This is held in the plan and used for your funeral when the time comes. Additional Terms and Conditions apply – please ask us for details.
Each plan includes removal, either within Northern Ireland or a specified radius to our premises. We strongly recommend that you take out travel medical insurance when you go on holiday, which should include the cost of bringing you back home if necessary.
If you move away from the area, you should be able to transfer your plan to another funeral director. Funeral costs do vary from one area to another, and you will be advised of any change in cost at that stage.
If you change your mind you can cancel your plan at any time. Please be aware however that you can only receive a full refund if you decide to cancel your plan within the first 30 days of purchase. If you decide to cancel your plan after the first 30 days, you will receive a refund of the original cost of the plan excluding the initial management fee.